Dolby Digital over TOSLINK SPDIF to Audigy2 Platinum EX

Hey Fedora Audiophiles,

I lost an hour last night trying to get this setup working, but to no
avail.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there with a similar
setup, or with knowledge on how to get this up and running.  Here is
what I'm trying to do:

    Playstation 3 -> Optical -> Audigy2 Platinum EX external box -> Computer Speakers

This setup works great out of the box, using Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48
kHz, but when having the PS3 output Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS 5.1 sound, I
can hear the data, but it does not get converted properly, so I hear
crazy pulsing sounds.

I've tried tweaking every setting in alsamixer on every piece of
hardware, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience taking Dolby Digital data from an
optical input, and convert the bitstream to analog, before sending it
off to the speakers?  I was under the impression that this external
receiver could do this for me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get
it to work.

Thanks!

luke