Re: Ardour 2.2 upgrade issue

Anthony Green wrote:
I was looking at upgrading ardour to 2.2 for f8 and devel when I came across the following note:

   Important note for upgrading from 2.1 or earlier

Please note that for several of the new features and fixes listed below, it is necessary to remove or update the following files if you have them in your ~/.ardour2 directory:

   * ardour2_ui.rc
   * ardour.bindings
   * ardour2_ui.conf

We have still not come up with an easy way to "upgrade" per-user files when we change key bindings, the menu structures and add/remove various UI color codes.

So... how should we handle this in our package? It seems nasty to do something like "rm /home/*/.ardour2/ardour2_ui.rc" at install time, but that might still be the best way to deal with this.
Or....?

I think it would be best to put the real ardour binary under /usr/libexec and put a bash script called ardour under /usr/bin, this script could then check for an ~/.ardour2/ardourver2.2 file, and if that not exits remove the 3 files mentioned above (if they exist, or use rm -f), then it would touch ~/.ardour2/ardourver2.2 (after an mkdir -p ~/.ardour2) and finally end with:
exec /usr/libexec/ardour "$@"

Regards,

Hans