Re: jackd and PulseAudio

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 17:15 -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
I just did an in-place fc6-to-f8 upgrade and it went pretty smoothly.

Cool! Do you have a "how I did it" page somewhere? Would be very
useful...

No. I took some notes which I'll stick in a blog entry later today. This is what I wrote down...

1. Manually upgrade the fedora-release and fedora-release-notes
   packages like so:

rpm -hUv \
http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/linux/releases/test/7.92/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-7.92-1.noarch.rpm \
http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/linux/releases/test/7.92/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-7.92-2.noarch.rpm

2. Disable all third-party repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d.

3. Remove third-party packages for which there is no new repo.  The
   upgrade fail due to broken dependencies otherwise.

4. "yum update"

5. Now your system has updated versions of all of your previously
   installed packages.  In order to pick up new packages from the
   groups you care about, you'll want to do something like so:

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment" "Development Tools" \
 "Server Configuration Tools" "Hardware Support" \
 "Sound and Video" "Graphical Internet" "Fonts" \
 "Games and Entertainment" "Printing Software" \
 "Administration Tools" "Office/Productivity" "System Tools"

6. Cross fingers & reboot.

One gotcha was I had to adjust the qjackd settings thusly:

1. Change "Server Path" on qjackctl's Setup page to "pasuspender jackd --". This suspends PulseAudio so it isn't hogging the ALSA ports while I'm running jackd.

Ahh, good to know. The Planet CCRMA jack package for f8 should have that
in place by default.

I'm going to file a bug against the Fedora qjackctl today.

Works fine otherwise?

It seems to, yes.  F8 is pretty nice!

2. Change the "Interface" setting to "hw:0" from "default". jackd wouldn't start up otherwise. Any idea why?

That should the default except I'm not sure I want to force that. By
default "default" used to go through the dmix plugin and you really
don't want any plugin in between jack and the soundcard. "hw:0" is the
right thing to do.

Ok, good to know.  This will be in my bug report as well.

AG

begin:vcard
fn:Anthony Green
n:Green;Anthony