Re: Ardour 2.0 for FC7?

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 08:07 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> Per Thomas Jahr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that Ardour 2.0 has been released, will it be in the repository for
> > FC7?
>
> This new version of ardour installs as /usr/bin/ardour2 (/etc/ardour2,
> etc), so you can install it in parallel with the old ardour.  However,
> it's also fully backwards compatible with the older ardour, so there's
> no real reason to have both installed.
>
> I was planning on calling the package ardour, not ardour2, and it will
> be the natural upgrade path for people with ardour already installed.
> The binaries and directories will still all be called ardour2, but that
> won't matter to people running it from the Applications menu.
>
> I think, however, that this is different from nando's ardour2 prerelease
> packages.
>
> Fernando, what do you think we should do?

Hmmm, no right answer... thanks for asking...

I've been tracking Ardour2 in fc5/fc6 for a while and the ardour2
package on Planet CCRMA was out a few hours after the announcement.

If we keep the "ardour" package name in Extras and transition that
package to 2.x, how can Planet CCRMA be compatible with that? I can't do
anything on my side, I think (the ardour2 packages have been out there
for a while and are installed in machines all over the place). Would the
package in Extras include some kind of Obsoletes:/Provides: for that? (I
doubt it... :-)

For something as crucial to a recording studio as Ardour I'd rather have
both installed side by side and test 2.x until I'm comfortable that it
is working fine. That's not possible if the package name is ardour,
right?

-- Fernando