Re: My intro

Definitely looking forward to seeing you at the next Thursday meeting, Stuart!

Paul

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Justin W. Flory <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/10/2016 01:58 AM, Stuart Brady wrote:
Hello guys,

My name is Stuart Brady and I would like to contribute to the project.
I've only been using Linux for a few months and I don't have great
technical skills yet (though I'm learning). However, I thought I could
help by editing/proofreading articles and such like for the magazine.
I'm a certified English Language Arts/Social Studies teacher currently
working Japan, so I have a fair bit of experience helping non-native
speakers with their writing. I could probably make a commitment of
around three hours per week. My email is sbrady1215@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sbrady1215@xxxxxxxxx>.

If you think I might be able to help, don't hesitate to let me know:)

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart! Welcome to the Marketing mailing list! Glad to have you here with us!

Sylvia and Eduard were one step ahead of me. :) The links mentioned earlier for the writing process for the Magazine are definitely the best places to start, in terms of writing an article.

We could definitely use another hand with editing, and your experience with English and with non-native writers is something that could definitely be helpful for us! I'm looking through a lot of our resources and we have a fair bit of content for people looking to write, but not as much for people looking to edit. It's something that I will see if I can try to work on soon...

In the meanwhile, you can take a look at some of the posts in the pending review queue:

https://fedoramagazine.org/wp-admin/edit.php?post_status=pending&post_type=post

These are the posts that authors have "finished" and are waiting to be reviewed by an editor. I'm not sure if you would have permissions to edit an article in that category, but if not, that's something we can fix easily. One of the best things you can do for now is wait to see an email by an author or another member of the Magazine team requests for review on an article. You're more than welcome to say / ask to try tackling one. :)

In the interest of keeping succinct, I'll go ahead and stop here. Hopefully this info is all helpful and easy to understand! I'm also wondering if either Paul or Ryan might be able to add on to my response with other advice for someone looking to help with editing too.

One piece of advice, if your schedule permits: you should definitely try making it to the Fedora Magazine editorial board meetings in IRC! They happen weekly on Thursdays, at 21:00 UTC (a.k.a. 5pm US EST). I see you mentioned you were in Japan, so I checked what time that is there, and my conversions show 6am in Tokyo... yikes. If the meeting time is difficult for you to make, we should be able to coordinate at other times in IRC or on the mailing list too.

If you have any questions, definitely feel free to ask – we're happy to help at any time! And welcome aboard again. :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory