Re: Israel Pineda [New Contributor for Fedora Magazine]

On 05/24/2016 01:48 AM, Israel Pineda wrote:
Hi Fedora Magazine,

I read that Fedora Magazine is looking for contributors and I would like to introduce myself.

I am Israel Pineda. Currently, I am a Ph.D. student of Computer Science. Previously I got my master and my bachelor degrees in the same field. Between my bachelor and my master degree, I went to industry to work as a software developer for almost five years also getting some experience with system administration.

I have been working with Linux for around 10 years, around five years ago I became a full-time Fedora guy and I use it as my main (and only) OS for my desktop and laptops. I also have done a thing or two with CentOS and in the past I have used other Linux distributions.

Lastly, I've been busy writing scientific papers for conferences and journals. I would like to showcase the usage of Fedora as a platform for science; an operating system where you can carry out your experiments, your data analysis, your publishing, etc. The idea I have right now is to document in an article the process of writing a thesis using Fedora. There are many hurdles during the thesis writing period and I think that and article in that topic might motivate many students and give some light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking forward to your comments.

Greetings, Israel, and welcome to the Magazine team! We are glad to see you here, and it sounds like you have a notable background working in Linux systems and Fedora. That's awesome!

I actually recently attended a talk about open science and how Linux and open source software fits into what's going on in the scientific community. I think having some articles showing the capabilities of Fedora in a scientific context are *awesome* ideas. There is actually a Scientific Lab that might be a good idea to write about along with some of the tools it features, if that sounds like something that might be interesting to you.

    https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/scientific/

Alternatively, if there are tools you are using that are available in Fedora for scientific use that you'd like to write about, I think any of those would be awesome. Writing a thesis with Fedora sounds like an idea that might attract a lot of clicks from other students for sure. ;)

Your next steps for getting started should be to look at writing a pitch for the Magazine. You can find links to the general "checklist" for writing for the Magazine as well as some info about writing a pitch below. This info should be helpful and useful for you to get started.

    https://fedoramagazine.org/writing-an-article-for-the-fedora-magazine/

    https://fedoramagazine.org/writing-a-new-pitch/

If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to ask on the mailing list or visit our IRC meetings on Thursdays in #fedora-meeting on IRC at 21:00 UTC. Once again, welcome aboard, and looking forward to seeing anything you come up with!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory