Re: [Magazine] Article Edited and Ready for Final Review

On Sun, 2016-02-07 at 15:51 -0500, Justin W. Flory wrote:

> I only have one lingering thought on this article -- in the last
> section about Software, there are some pretty sharp words said about
> GNOME. While I completely agree that constructive criticism is
> important and it is a good thing to voice concerns, I don't feel like
> this Magazine article is the best place to do it.
>
> Instead of focusing on the negatives of GNOME, I would try to replace
> it with some positive thoughts either on the desktop or another
> environment. Using positive words over the negative will have a more
> resounding impact on the reader and will also reflect well on Fedora.
> Since there is such a large readership base for the Magazine, I could
> imagine someone reading the last bit and thinking, "Oh, even Fedora
> contributors don't even like Fedora!" Obviously this isn't true if
> you read the rest of the article, but it can be easy for someone who
> is skimming to take things out of context.
>
> However, like I said, overall, I think this is a fantastic article
> and is a great testament to the Fedora community. With a little bit
> of rephrasing to the bottom portion, I think this article will be
> ready to ship on Friday.

I did not want to change the substance in the article written by
William, but I think the language could be softened.

---- current ----
Neville has a love-hate relationship with GNOME. All of his computers
have it. The hate part comes from the changing nature of GNOME. The
developers move functionality and do not do a good job of documenting
where that feature went. Cross makes special note that the most
annoying item is the “connect to server” function in Nautilus
----

---- possible revision ----
Neville has a love-hate relationship with GNOME. While all of his
computer run Ghome there are times when his productivity is impacted
due to changes in where features are located. One example is the
connect to server function in Nautilus. Neville believes that the issue
could easily be resolved with better documentation with regards to
changes.
----

I think this keeps the substance roughly the same, but makes the
message a bit more subtle.

Thoughts?

Charles