Re: Social Media Strategy

On 01/08/2016 11:45 AM, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:

On Jan 8, 2016 12:29 AM, "Beau Mathieson" <personal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:personal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I have noticed that our primary Facebook and Twitter accounts are
 > gearing their content more toward a user who has technical knowledge or
 > is already a user of Fedora. Content about systemd, python, elections,
 > etc aren't going to draw in potential users of a non technical
 > background or one who has never used any Linux operating system before.
 > I believe it's best to keep that content to the magazine and use social
 > media to draw potential users in. Maybe we should use social media to
 > target the everyday user. By doing that we could gain a lot more users
 > and potential contributors and maybe we could even gain more of a stake
 > in the market. We have a chance to do something amazing!
 >
 > Kind regards,
 > Beau Mathieson

Beau,

We have a newish tool: social-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:social-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> as an address where we can
aggregate links and content that should be broadcasted across our
channels. If you have content of the sort you are describing above, you
can send a quick message to that list to get it on the collective
radar. Please send there, and feel free to subscribe too and
individually promote content if you'd like

Welcome Welcome,
--RemyD.

P.S. - if you aren't there already, I would highly recommend joining
#fedora-mktg and #fedora-commops on freenode, where you'll find many of
the interested parties from this mail list are discussing this type of
stuff in real time.

Remy mentioned a good resource with the social-media mailing list, as well as both #fedora-mktg and #fedora-commops on Freenode IRC.

In addition to your comments about the strategy for social media, I also feel like it could be taken advantage of in a bigger or better way. Often times, it feels like all our social media channels do is promote content from the Fedora Magazine. I think this role is a good one as there is a lot of content on the Magazine that may interest the larger Fedora community of both users, developers, contributors, and more. But I think it could be more than just the Magazine.

The best example I can think of this was a month or two ago, when I noticed that the Fedora Facebook page posted a random question, "What email client do you use on Fedora?" It was a short and simple question, but it was one of the most well-engaged posts I've seen in a while. As of now, that post is sitting at 94 comments.

    https://www.facebook.com/TheFedoraProject/posts/10153753968090480

I think it would be a good idea to post more things like this to our social media channels too. I think it might give a little bit more of a connection between Fedora and users when they can interact in ways like this - the result of this possibly being a stronger loyalty of users to Fedora.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory