Re: Use of Link shorteners on Twitter

On 11/11/2015 11:58 AM, Patrick Uiterwijk wrote:
Hi all,

On 11/10/2015 08:33 PM, Lord Drachenblut wrote:
There is one reason for using ow.ly <http://ow.ly> URL shortener and
that is it allows the person posting via hootsuite to track engagement
with a post.  I would rather see a URL shortener that is fedora branded
being used if possible.
This was the major point I was thinking of mentioning. Personally, I
feel like link shorteners are only necessary if they're being utilized
to collect statistics and metrics. Judging by the context of this
thread, do we know who has the keys to the Hootsuite? I feel like social
media engagement statistics are something that could be an invaluable
resource to gauging which of our social media posts are effective and
which ones aren't as engaged.
So, I am not aware of who holds the keys to Hootsuite, but for stats tracking
this would not be required.
If we would just use t.co, Wordpress statistics that we have should see the
items coming in just fine through the http referrer header.

If this *is* already happening, then the above paragraph can be
disregarded. In the case that statistics and metrics are being tracked,
I personally vote to abstain from using link shorteners except where
information about engagements and interactions are actually being utilized.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory

With kind regards,
Patrick Uiterwijk
Fedora Infra
Yeah, not sure who owns the keys, or uses it either -- maybe jzb?

Also, it appears that it is only being used to post to twitter, as the posts with ow.ly shortened links only appear on Twitter, not facebook and g+, So even if the reasoning is to track engagements there is no reason why, if you wanted to do this, that you can do it in the twitter interface.

Twitter now gives you quite detailed insights on posts, for example the post that i linked to eariler in the thread has these stats:

Impressions 3,607
Total engagements 175
Link clicks  129
Detail expands 18
Retweets   12
Profile clicks   10
Likes   5
Replies   1

Google+ and Facebook also do this to some extent too, so IMHO no real need to track in another third party propertiary application.

cheers,
ryanlerch