Re: Help us rebrand rawhide

On Sat, 2015-08-15 at 10:52 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 15 August 2015 at 02:55, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

<snip>

> Have you actually talked with developers about what they want in an
> OS
> they are working on. Most developers don't want cool.. they want
> not-broken and boring. The coolest thing they want is a Mac laptop on
> the outside but anyone notice that the interior hasn't changed much
> since 2003? Just going from flat icons to rounded icons to flat icons
> is about as much change as most developers really want. They might
> drive a Lamborghini off their stock purchase but never out of 3rd
> gear
> and the first time it breaks they take it back to the dealer complain
> bitterly to all their friends about crappy cars and how never to use
> Lambo again.
>
> The people who are the types to be attracted to dangerous distros are
> already running rolling releases. They really don't expect a lot
> because they have been sitting on Sid, Arch, Gentoo for years and
> know
> that it is going to break and that they need to roll up their sleeves
> to get it working again. Trying to put a new splash of paint on
> rawhide isn't going to really do much for them because what they want
> isn't in the name.. it is in the guts of the machine. That is going
> take a track record of cool stuff, unbreaking things as quickly as
> possible and all the other things that rolling releases in Arch etc
> have shown.

I understand all of this, but however much we work to make rawhide more
stable and usable, we're not using it as a stable rolling release, are
we? It's main purpose is still testing, unless I've missed something
somewhere?  I'd like to reserve the "stable and boring" part for our
stable releases, and market rawhide as relatively stable, but untested,
with all the flashy new stuff - which it is.

I just don't want to attach the term "rolling" to it, however close to
a rolling release rawhide gets, because the community hasn't decided to
support it as one and marketing it as one may cause users to believe
that it is indeed supported and QAed.

> > 2. "Rolling" doesn't offer much theme wise. If we're redoing
> > rawhide,
> > why not pick something that gives the design team lots to work with
> > -
> > we could do lots of cool stuff with a new codename, t-shirts ("I'm
> > badass, I run $rawhide!"). logos, images, case badges, stickers,
> > wallpapers?
> >

> In that case, any name is going to be temporary because rocket, nuke,
> sid, etc are going to run out of energy after a bit.

Well, even it being themeable for the one time initial re-branding
would be helpful. Marketing needs to have material with it - a solitary
post on the magazine won't be enough.

> So I would just
> call it $bikeshed and give bikeshed a new definition every couple of
> months.

What do you mean by a new definition? A new codename?

+1 for bikeshed, btw :)
--
Thanks,
Regards,