Re: Help us rebrand rawhide

On 14 August 2015 at 16:10, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, here at Flock, we're talking about improving Rawhide so it's much
> less likely to break (it will, for example, be always installable and
> always updatable).
>
> We took the "Rawhide eats babies" readme file away a long time ago,
> but it still has that reputation. So, the consensus in the room here is
> that we'd like a new name for a new, less scary devel tree.
>
> What should it be?

I don't know.. this seems like having Debian rename Sid to Lotso or
Pete because it plays better with the kids these days :).

I believe the history for calling it rawhide was that Donnie Barnes
(djb) and Mike Wangsmo (wanger) were cowboys and dealing with daily
churned packages was like dealing with a cattle call. [Before we
treated out servers like cattle, we did so to our packages.] Of course
others put it that it was not about the Rollin' Rollin' song but the
chewtoy.

In the end, I think that the name should be direct and clear like it
was another Edition. This will keep the fights over spacerocket,
chewtoy, <cool reference people will not get in 10 years> to a minimum
and not confuse our messaging with Editions. I am guessing names like:

Now
Current
Rolling
CurrentBuilds
RollingRelease
Cyberpophagist

would be appropriate. [I kid on the last one...]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.