Re: New Magazine theme

Hi,

On 03/09/2015 05:58 PM, Zacharias Mitzelos wrote:
Where do you think we should place the
Categories of the Magazine? In our current theme, we've placed them next
to the Magazine logo. Any ideas? I really like that the top blue bar is
empty though, and contains only the logo and the social media buttons.

I gave Ryan some feedback while he was working on this and recommended that we just drop the categories. We talked it over at length and concluded it was the best way to go. The problem with our current categories is that for the most part they are audience-focused, eg "For Contributors" "For users." But we couldn't find any examples of magazines online that do this - online magazines use topical categories, not audience-based ones. Let your readers decide what they are interested in instead of choosing for them - if you really feel the need to have a dividing line like that it'd make more sense to have a separate publication for each audience.

The other thing is that a lot of users hitting Fedora magazine posts, based on our referral logs, are coming from start.fpo in which case we have a far more powerful way to direct them to other content they'd be most interested in on the site - we know they clicked on the link to the article they're viewing, so if we want to keep them on the site and pursuing around we'd best offer articles related to or similar to that. You can see Ryan exploited this in the design by having related posts as the most visible piece of content besides the article content in the upper right side of the article display; recent posts are below that which - in part - helps the users understand this is a living site and actively updated so they know they can visit again to get more, newer content later.

Make sense?

~m