Re: Distrowatch: Trying on Fedora 21

Ankur Sinha píše v Po 29. 12. 2014 v 12:39 +0100:
> On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 10:14 +0530, Madhurjya Roy wrote:
> > Please be aware that I am just trying to put the common people's
> > viewpoint. This is just an opinion and not any sort of destructive
> > criticism!
> > Last, I would like to express my sincere apologies, in case I have
> > offended someone.
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1. The issue with mp3 and other non free software support isn't going to
> go away.

Actually, in case of mp3 it is. Most patents related to this format are expiring this year and AFAIK we might be able to support MP3 playback by default soon.
But otherwise yes, generally it's a problem that is not going away.

> 2. Installing media codecs is easier than ever. We've put up a note
> here:
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/9111/sticky-what-plugins-do-i-need-to-install-to-watch-movies-and-listen-to-music/
>
> It takes one Google search. They don't need to know how to use the
> command line, they just need to copy-paste the command there.

Multimedia support in Windows is also not perfect and yet it's the most
popular desktop system. People go to the Internet and download VLC or
install Flash Player. They don't mind doing it in Windows, but they do
in Fedora, and it's difficult about the same in both systems.

> 3. The marketing list is probably not the best place to discuss this :)
> As I said before, Freedom is one of our foundations and I, for one, am
> part of the community because of it. Modification of our foundations and
> policies will require a discussion at a much higher level, maybe the
> council will need to discuss it.
>
> Instead of thinking of this as a limitation of Fedora, you should take
> it as an opportunity to educate people of our philosophy - once people
> understand, they usually don't mind the two extra steps required to
> install codecs and whatnot. Open source is much more than using software
> that you don't have to pay for.

I think part of the marketing role is also to provide feedback from
users or people who we're trying to "sell" Fedora to, but yeah, in this
case we all know it, just can't do much about it :/

Legally, we can't do much about it. Red Hat is a public company located
in the USA, not a private company located on the Isle of Man. And I'm
sure that Ubuntu will run into serious problems if they ever succeed and
are worth suing.
I remember there were some attempts to license some most popular codecs
for Fedora, but the license terms were never compatible with open source
licenses.

Jiri