Re: Distrowatch: Trying on Fedora 21

On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 10:14 +0530, Madhurjya Roy wrote:
> Please be aware that I am just trying to put the common people's
> viewpoint. This is just an opinion and not any sort of destructive
> criticism!
> Last, I would like to express my sincere apologies, in case I have
> offended someone.

A couple of things:

1. The issue with mp3 and other non free software support isn't going to
go away. Freedom is one of our foundations. The best you can do is
explain to new users *why* proprietary software isn't available in
Fedora and spread our open source philosophy while you do so. (The
ethical discussion regarding patents and whether or not someone wants to
pay for what someone else created is not in the scope of this mailing
list. It requires an understanding of individual rights etc.)

2. Installing media codecs is easier than ever. We've put up a note
here:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/9111/sticky-what-plugins-do-i-need-to-install-to-watch-movies-and-listen-to-music/

It takes one Google search. They don't need to know how to use the
command line, they just need to copy-paste the command there.

3. The marketing list is probably not the best place to discuss this :)
As I said before, Freedom is one of our foundations and I, for one, am
part of the community because of it. Modification of our foundations and
policies will require a discussion at a much higher level, maybe the
council will need to discuss it.

Instead of thinking of this as a limitation of Fedora, you should take
it as an opportunity to educate people of our philosophy - once people
understand, they usually don't mind the two extra steps required to
install codecs and whatnot. Open source is much more than using software
that you don't have to pay for.
--
Thanks,
Regards,