Re: [in the news] Review: 3 top Linux distros go for different users

On 12/16/2009 05:49 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
Review: 3 top Linux distros go for different users
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

[clip]

Paul Frields, Red Hat's Fedora Project Leader, described Fedora to
me as being "first and foremost for users interested in and capable
of contributing to open source." So if you're a Linux power user,
you're going to love Fedora. If you're not, this probably isn't the
distro for you.

It's not that Fedora is hard to use. While it's not as
beginner-friendly as Ubuntu, most Linux users shouldn't have any
trouble working with Fedora even if they're not developers.

Well, that's nice to hear in any case!  Does it partially contradict
the assertions above though?

No, I think his idea is something like: if you are a Linux user, you will find Fedora familiar, if you are a Linux *power* user, you will *love* it.

There are a couple of puzzlers in this article, such as the
implication that being able to find lesser-known utilities makes a
distribution more suitable for the masses.  I would argue that the
masses don't care about such things.  What's most important is a
working set of well-integrated functionality that behaves consistently
and predictably.  The ability to fine tune that later is certainly
great, but the average user isn't interested in spending time finding
and learning new, off-the-beaten-path utilities.

Trying to decipher, I think the meaning here is: an user who know little stuff and want to learn as little as possible, will do a Google search, end on some forum, copy/paste a few commands he does not understand and bang! everything is working.
I am not sure we want to paint such image about ourselves.