Re: Thinking out loud about a Fedora Handbook

On 11/25/2009 11:34 PM, sankarshan wrote:
A while back I had stolen some neurons from Rahul and Susmit while
scribbling<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sankarshan/FedoraHandbook>.
The page has a bit of detail but it is somewhat nebulous and
tentative.

Having a handbook that is "project focused" would be a good addition
to release-centric flyers. Would anyone like to take a look at this
and, figure out how to move forward with the content ? The original
idea I had was to re-use existing content so as to not burden everyone
with writing fresh snappy lines.

Thinking out loud a little bit...

I think this would be a great project to take on for F13.

It's also, like every other project in Fedora, dependent on people here being excited about working on it (and able to do so) - although the timing seems right, with the a lot of the base material (the Four Foundations [0], etc) already existing somewhere on the wiki, and with momentum in this general area going strong with conversations about "what is Fedora?" happening at f-a-b, the website redesign and user research underway, marketing research starting, and the like.

Since it's not release-specific it's something we could work on early in the release cycle, even pre-Alpha. And it's something we could do as a series of joint Ambassadors/Marketing sprints, since they'll be the ones using this handbook at events, and we're looking for ways to get the two teams working more closely together (and this would be an awesome start). We could try to print the first round at the Marketing FAD [1] we'll likely be planing for sometime in the middle of this release cycle.

Also, these came to mind as potential sources of inspiration:
* http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Sharing_Creative_Works
* http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/6/65/Creativecommons-encouraging-the-ecology-of-creativity_eng.pdf

These are just my late-night ramblings, so I'd love to hear what others think about the concept.

Is anyone interested in driving this project, or do you know someone who might be? This would make a great project for someone interested in (or interested in learning about) print media, perhaps some of the folks who were keen on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_print_magazine.

--Mel

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD