Re: Picture book....

Ian Weller wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:19:01AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
The most important requirement from a technical point of view is to have the images big enough, so depending on the paper size we may want to resuest something like at least 4 or 5 Megapixels (multiply the page size in inches with 300 DPI and we get the minimum resolution needed in pixels).

I think to give us more freedom we'll want to ask for photos that could
theoretically fill the entire page, but we might put more than one photo
on a page (in some format... hmm) to break some things up and put room
for text.

Probably if a camera can't take photos at at least 4 MB, probably it can't take worthy photos anyway (i.e. the camera on my phone, or a webcam). 4 MP is 2272 x 1704, si this is probably a safe minimum.

We can also talk about file formats and require either RAW or JPEG with a high quality, we have to accept JPEG as not all cameras are capable of producing RAW, but a JPEG saved with a quality factor of 85 (with visible JPEG artefacts) is unacceptable, so we may go with something like at least 98.

Can we just ask people to place the quality settings on their camera to
the highest possible?

I was thinking here more about post processing and saving from a graphic editor.

Right. How about we ask people to submit multiple shots?

IMO, we should ask people so submit as many shots as they can/want/have.

I'm thinking I'm going to need to create a workflow of some sort for all
of this...

With things to check: license, release forms, size, quality.

We can ask in a first stage only smaller previews for selection and only for the selected images follow with release forms and big files.