Re: ubuntu marketing

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Valent Turkovic wrote:

Plus if you look at reviews of linux distributions most of them have a category "How easy is it to go to youtube and watch videos" because that is what desktop users do and expect from any desktop.

Here are some truths that I hold dear. I believe that they are *fundamental* truths of the Fedora project.

1. It's not always easy to be true *free software* advocates. We take the good with the bad.

2. The people we care most about are people who care about advancing the best of *free software*.

3. Ubuntu is already catering to users who are willing to sacrifice freedom for the sake of *marginal* usability advantage. There's really no reason for us to follow them down that path. Will it cost us users? It certainly will. But we are *extremely* competitive with Ubuntu when it comes to *contributors* -- and it's *contributors* who change the world.

Let Spaceman worry about being popular. Let's concern ourselves with being right, and being productive -- even when it's difficult.

"Fedora -- Ubuntu's more responsible older brother."

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager