Re: separate fpo domain? (was Re: making the website better)

I think it'd be possible to divide the current fp.o url into the specific parts, it would just include 1 more click. Perhaps on the root domain, we sort of wipe it clean and provide 3 major links: "For Developers", "For Users", "For Community Members" or whatever audiences we've determined. Then behind those links, are links relative to the audience they clicked. Users would get links to acquiring the distro and further explanation of what they need to consider. Community members would get links to the various wiki pages and other pages important to them, and so on with the rest.

We could also provide our little banners that count down to various releases and events, and any other little sidebar stuff we want. Nonetheless this would help seperate and distinguish where the various audiences should go.

Máirín Duffy wrote:
What do folks think about this idea?

fedoraproject.org being the website for the PROJECT, while a separate domain would be more focused towards uses of the project's output, Fedora the linux distro itself?

would something like fedoralinux.org work?

Or are we barking up the wrong tree?

~m

Elio Tondo wrote:
Luis Felipe Marzagao/Yahoo ha scritto:

I agree. For completely new useres (to linux and to open source), the idea of a "project" itself sounds a bit strange. Some of them think it's a product that is not "ready" yet, like something that has not come out of the paper (the project or the bluprint). Changing it for something like get-fedora.org, as suggested, may improve Fedora visibility and download.

+1

Too bad that http://fedora.org/ is really disgusting... and the other common GTLDs are also unavailable. Any other ideas about an appealing domain name?

Elio

--