Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:50:45 -0400
From: Leigh Cantrell Day <lday@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>

What would help greatly would be globally planned launches. Often my team learns of new drops too last minute to be able to develop a large-scale launch that does not compete with other priorities on the calendar. If we have plenty of advance notice, available spokesppl, details, etc. then we could plan a *global* launch at release time
that includes the following elements:
[...]
For instance, have learned last week that F8 is coming 11/8. This is 1 day after a major infrastructure launch. we are basically competing

Well, the release schedules, as good as we can do, are publicly available at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases

Unfortunately, due to the specific nature, the final date is not set in stone and the experience teach us all the releases so far slipped at least a few days at the last minute. Even now we talk (on the devel list) about some potential blockers which may delay the release, but the probability is low.

with our own news and press attn. I suggest we launch to the community on 11/8 and do big press (all of the elements mentioned above) to get serious exposure + accurate reporting. It's also Oracleworld (11/11-11/15) and press are fiendish for news during this time.

Your thoughts, and support, are appreciated. Those of us dealing with press/analysts also are feeling the void a few have indicated.

I don't think only release dates are worth publicizing, there are many technological advances, like the inclusion of Iced Tea which are important and known well in advance and could be used to build expectation and momentum.