Re: German LinuxUser Magazine

Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
Hi,

there is an distribution-review for recycling old PCs (Pentium I class).

				Fedora	Suse	Ubuntu

Installation with Gnome		3:00h	1:10h	1:45h
Minimal Installation		1:50	0:30	0:30
First Update with Gnome		4h	1:10h	0:26h
Boot in textmode		1:20m	1:10m	1:10m
Boot with Gnome			2:20m	2:10m	2:20m

Seems Fedora is the slowest to install in low-memory conditions.

Was it the same amount of packages? A DVD image of Fedora installs way more packages by default than a live CD. A graphical installation on low memory would consume more time than a text mode installation.

The first update with GNOME metric also isn't useful without taking into account the number of packages being updated.

That leaves us with the boot and login times which are comparable.

The authors states, that although selected in Anaconda the xfce-packages
were missing and he had to manually install them afterwards.

XFCE is not available in media so I don't see how he could selected that during installation.

Rahul