RE: Fedora's mid-life crisis

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

I would have thought that the Fedora Board would have considered that question and possibly answered it in their own heads. It's one of the long standing question who is the target market. Now people can say it's aimed at devs but to me it seems like Fedora is very strong in the server market but on the desktop side of things it doesn't go all the way. Leaving Codecs out of it cause to me that's irrelevant.

The primary target market is people who love free software, and who want to work *actively* to make free software better. All other markets are secondary. Important, but secondary.

Using PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu as an example they have pointed themselves
directly at the desktop market and their server or Ubuntu's server setup
isn't as good as Fedora's (My opinion = SELinux, stability and ease of
install).  Fedora to me as always looked and felt like a Corporate Desktop
and or Corporate Server more so than a home desktop.  Yet by the same token
there are some significant enhancements in the desktop part that I have
thought damn they are good.

So I suppose it's back to the question who is Fedora targeting as an
audience?  Should Fedora separate out certain aspects to cater to certain
areas?  Like coming up with ideas for desktop enhancements and a group for
Server enhancements.  With the Live-CD's I believe that's a HUGE step in the
right direction.

This is as much a question for the greater Fedora community as it is for the Red Hat members thereof. If the community decides that they want to see more desktop-focused work, there are areas where dedicated community folk can start *right now*. Coming up with a suitable replacement for Pirut, for example.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager