Re: Fedora Core 6 Pre release review

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
I thought there was work in progress for a new init system, called
initng if I recall correctly, which supposedly would load and process
start up scripts in tandem rather than sequentially. Stuff which can
be loaded all at once will be loaded at once, and that which require
prior stuff is loaded when the reqs are met.

Initng is already in Fedora Extras after a long review process.

 I thought Fedora was
going to use this type of init system instead of upstart (or upstart
could be a new name for initng from what I can make out of that post).

No. Its a new init system written after the review process of initng started and we havent decided which init system to adopt or whether to write a new one. Speed is not the factor that would lead Fedora to get a new init system. There are a number of other advantages that are more important.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit

Rahul