Re: [Fedora-marketing-list] Fedora Wallpapers

Máirín Duffy wrote:

I really don't like the idea of having NoDerivs applied to Fedora artwork as that seems to render it 'closed source' in a way. If other artists would like to take NoDeriv-licensed wallpapers, 'remix' them, and make them available, they cannot under the provisions of that license. The rationale for the NoDerivs clause on any artwork that uses the Fedora logo makes no sense to me. We're not licensing our code 'NoDerivs,' why would we want to license our artwork NoDerivs? It doesn't protect the logo - it protects everything in the image but the Fedora logo, case in point:
[...]

This all seems to be a sore topic though. How do we discuss this and move forward with a solid policy? I think this is a very important step for the Fedora Art team to grow.

I couldn't agree more.
If I am forced to publish my artwork as NoDerivs, then I prefer to put it on my own website, with whatever license I want and let the Google search decide what users get for 'fedora wallpapers' (for the time being, my page is the first, 'I feel lucky', result).

--
nicu