Looking Forward: Fedora Core 5: Feedback

Hi

In between the ever so crazy work involved in getting a new release of Fedora Core 5 out of the door, it was a pleasant surprise to generally get a good pat on the back through your detailed review[1] of the second test release of Fedora Core 5 [2]. Thank you for that. I wouldn't want to quote and gloat about the positive comments. Your readers are already all over it anyway. I would just like to offer my viewpoints on some potential criticisms in the review.

" Red Hat's (and consequently Fedora's) installer hasn't changed much over the years, so when I loaded this version one of the first things I took notice of was the differences. This release will finally see some definite changes to the install process, and from what I could tell they're well thought out and welcome changes"

I would agree that the overall look and feel of the installer has not been changed much and this has been to a good part, intentional to provide some familiarity to the users of Red Hat Linux and subsequently Fedora. The underlying changes though have been more or less steadily progressing towards improving the installation process. We now use yum as a backend to the installer in hopes of minimizing the differences between a upgradation through the installer and through the ill advised option of using Yum to upgrade a distribution and more importantly providing the ability to support additional software repositories such as Fedora Extras. You can find a major list of planned changes to Anaconda here.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaWorkItems

"How many newbies do you know who will know right off the top of their head what SSH, FTP, HTTP, etc are? Sure, I know many might, but I've been in the business of supporting end users for over a decade now and let me tell you that you'd be amazed. So this isn't a slant on Fedora at all. They've done very well. The only thing I could say would be to maybe put some plain English titles next to the check boxes or maybe some short but descriptive comments."

Agree with that completely. Now we do provide the ability for everyone to file requests for feature enhancements to all the Fedora components in http://bugzilla.redhat.com. It would very nice if you can file such a request and then refer to it within your review and set an example of community feedback. Getting such media attention to small but nice requests such as this might be a good idea to get your favorite peeves resolved since the distribution being reviewed will like to pay better attention to such requests. (hint hint ;-).

" SELinux is here again in this release, but without it's baggage from what I saw. For quite some time now you've had to disable SELinux at the boot prompt if you were to use a file system such as ReiserFS for the bootable partition, but this time I wasn't affected at all. "

The default filesystem Ext3 is being supported by Fedora project. Others are merely been made available as the upstream project provides it. The project on the whole has decided to concentrate its expertise and not so unlimited resources into others areas that require more attention instead of gaining support for yet another filesystem. SELinux is actually broken again in both XFS and reiserfs.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg00833.html

The general lack of upstream involvement in providing SELinux capability which is one of the driving features and part of the pro-active security strategy of Fedora ( Refer to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security for other details) is also the reason why Ext3 is preferred within the Fedora project as it is something that Red Hat has contributing heavily and has engineer expertise on to stand behind and support any issues or the ongoing feature enhancements within the subsequent releases in the future.

" GDM, the GNOME login manager, hasn't changed much at all for the next release. It's still very plain, which is all fine and good. As with everything else in Linux, It's themeable, so if you require more eye candy it's available to you. I don't mind the minimalistic look at all so I left it untouched."

While you might prefer the minimalistic look, it might be of interest that our interaction design expert, Diana fong has produced some excellent artwork for this release and as part of her efforts has also produced a mockup of a new GDM theme to match the rest of the artwork included in this release. Our engineers unfortunately have not had time to implement this new GDM theme though. Hopefully they will be able to do this before the GA release of Fedora Core 5.

" Performance on the desktop up until this point is not good at all. Applications were extremely slow to load and Nautilus would crash on cue"

Dave Jones, Fedora kernel maintainer introduced a patch in the development tree that added some important debugging features. Though it slowed down the performance considerably, it has resulted in some interesting findings that will help towards fixing some issues. I believe the performance issues cited in the review might be related to this.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/kernelslacker/33637.html?mode=reply

Nautilus issues mentioned in the review is a known bug.

"There was one issue I found with mounting CD media and it appears to stem from their new volume label usage in fstab. Basically, what happens is it generates mount points on the fly depending on the volume label of the media being mounted. For instance, I inserted a DVD with a volume label of “DiscMakers”. When the system mounted the device, it mounted it (//dev/hdc/ as the DVD drive is properly known on my review PC) as //media/DiscMakers/. That's all fine and good under normal circumstances, but in this case it fouled it up to the point of not allowing me to unmount it properly... if at all. As you can see by the screenshot below, I was having some real trouble getting the thing to eject. When I would right-click the CD/DVD icon on the desktop and select /Eject/ from the menu, it would generate and error saying that it didn't exist in fstab. To add insult to injury it would tell me I wasn't root... as if I didn't already know. "

I would request again a bugzilla report on this problem to enable our engineers to fix this issue.

" Fedora includes a package management tool called Yum. Think of it as being very similar to the way Debian's <http://www.debian.org> Apt works, dependency resolution and all. While Yum can be slow, and an all around pain in the ass at times, I have to say the wealth of software available is really amazing and it /does/ work."

Yum is usually perceived as being slow since it checks the repository metadata before its runs its operations while you will have to manually do this with Apt. As an example of this, if you do a installation of a latest package called "foo" in Debian or even in Fedora using Apt-RPM available in Fedora Extras. (APT-RPM is not recommended for other reasons documented in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Apt), you would use the following commands

# apt-get update
# apt-get install foo

If you use yum, it does a equivalent of apt-get update (yum check-update) automatically and only have to use the following command

# yum install foo

While this makes it appear slow you can use Yum -C install foo to do a equivalent of a typical apt command thereby showing similar performance. Yum in this release of Fedora Core goes even further by retaining a timeout period of 1800 seconds by default (which is configurable in /etc/yum.conf using the option metadata_expire) for repeated operations of Yum during which it does not attempt to resync its metadata and performing its operations faster.

" On the topic of support, I have to take this time to plug FedoraForum.org, which is official forum of Fedora and the best resource possible for this distribution. Period. It isn't just because Mad Penguin™ staff member Ewdison Then owns/operates it either... it's just /that/ good. Since this is a community release, it's up to the community to provide support for it, and they've done so with exceptional results. Thanks to Ewdi, we've got FedoraForum.org, and there's others out there as well. Here are a few of them plus others for those of you who are getting into Fedora and are looking for help, tips, tricks, tutorials, and everything in between"

Being a active forum users and one of the community managers there I totally agree on this. /me waves to Ewdi.

"*Management: *Good (needs a centralization control center)"

# yum install system-config-control and you will see a work in progress (Screenshots available from indianoss.sourceforge.net/) volunteer effort from one of the local language computing people - Ankit enabling Gujarati language in India who also happens to my office colleague locally. Incidentally we were brainstorming on this tool when I came across your review. So yeah we are working on it. Thank you once again for your interest in the Fedora project.

---
Rahul