Re: Why Linux needs a mentor program

Patrick Barnes wrote:

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

It was interesting to read your article on
http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/09/13/1816200&tid=35.
It was particularly relevant to me since Fedora very recently started
a mentoring program[1] to get users and developers to participate and
get involved in Fedora is a better way. While its not a entirely new
idea or effort its good to see we set ourselves in the right
direction. The amount of involvement required to take it to Linux on
the whole is enormous.  I believe we already do that in a modular
fashion in the form of various help sites like
http://linuxquestions.org for users or http://kernelnewbies.org for
developers. A central place to list and combine all these efforts
might work better rather doing it from scratch

regards
Rahul

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mentors

Hmm... The article focuses on mentors for end-user support, while our
mentors program is geared towards contributors.  Is end-user mentoring
something we really want to tackle?  Obviously, it would be nice to have
a full mentoring program for new users, but it is really a question of
resources.  Our contributor mentoring is only barely getting off the
ground.
Fedora users list already serves that purpose very well. We can probably invite a few active users in the Fedora-list who are helpful to others and sign them up as mentors explicitly as a form of acknowledgment. You are right that we do not want mentors list to turn into users list - part 2, atleast not without getting new resources

regards
Rahul