Feedback on Fedora Core 4 test 2 review

Hi

I came across your review [1] of the second test release of Fedora Core 4 . I have a few suggestions and remarks.This is the first review of a test release of Fedora Core 4 that I have come across and as such it was certainly a interesting one to read. "I am one of many who felt that Red Hat's abandonment of their desktop user community was treacherous at best. I see the logic in this from a customer support perspective--after all, answering questions from randoms who've coughed up the money for a Linux distribution at CompUSA can be time-consuming, but that's how you build market share."

Stopping retail distribution of Red Hat Linux and moving towards a more frequently updated Fedora project isnt equivalent to abandonment of the desktop users. Red Hat has never produced a distribution that directly targetted the desktop segment. While its true that Red Hat wouldnt isnt directly involved in retail distribution of Fedora, independant vendors continue to do that extensively. Fedora release cycle combined with the Fedora legacy project would provide something thats pretty close yet better to previous releases of Red Hat Linux. While your point about building market share is pretty true the reality is that support costs would be higher for the desktop market compared to servers (limited and restricted usage scenarios).

Red Hat continues to work on things that are meant to improve the user experience for Fedora. For example extensive work on GTK, dbus, hal and things like Network manager are some of the pieces of desktop infrastructure that springs up to mind. Efforts to improve bootup speed using bootchart [2] and things like GDM early login [3] are primarly for desktop users. servers arent going to rebooted that often for boot up speed to be a significant factor . right?

Work on GCJ ( GNU compiler for Java) would enable the significant amount of Java code in Openoffice 2.0 to e run under a natively compiled free Java stack which I believe you would agree is a important thing for the desktop market.

"On my screen, the subtitles read "To sponsor a project and people who will develop stuff that we can suck directly into future RHEL releases.""

While Fedora project definitely is the basis of Red Hat Enteprise Linux, inviting the community to work on things is meant to enable more innovative growth and take Linux into directions which Red Hat cannot or does not want to work on currently. Fedora Extras is just one such direct benefit of the work done by the community. Instead of a scattered set of third party repositories we will now have Fedora Extras repository which follows Fedora Core release cycle and is enabled by default in Fedora Core 4 which will enable users to access a whole lot of software more easily

You have provided a table that shows the changes in version numbers of the things that you find important. It would have been better to link to the release notes [4] for the test release for users who want to dig for further information after reading you review

The following things are what I would consider important features that are planned to included in Fedora Core 4 that you have not mentioned in your review

Xen [5] - A para virtualisation software that would enable users to run multiple operating systems or versions of it.
Red Hat GFS [6]  - Cluster filesystem
SELinux update - Significant number of additional deamons will protected by SELinux in Fedora Core 4
Free Java stack which includes Eclipse and  Apache Jakarta
Fedora Extras yum repository enabled by default
GDM early login and removal of rhgb would be a significant change in user experience for desktop users
Evince document viewer [7]
Yum will use sqllite database and perform much faster that previous releases

regards
Rahul

[1] http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/5830/1/
[2] bootchart.sf.net