Re: Minetest Broken

Hi, Dennis,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 5:13 PM Dennis Payne <dulsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I never explicitly enabled the module to my knowledge. Did upgrading at
some point enable the module? How are people supposed to know that a
module is defunct and stop using it? If save files modified by minetest
5 don't work with minetest 4, are we telling people "Sorry we enabled
the minetest module automatically. You can wait to Fedora 32 to load
those save files."?

Minetest:5 stream was enabled by default so you got it installed automatically.

And to clarify, Gwyn is not to blame here. She is helping with the package, but it is me and Igor who made this mess. And sorry that we didn't realize the full consequences.

Let's look at our options to fix it.

Current state:

1) for rawhide modules are disabled, version 5.1.0 is available in the repo as a regular package;

2) for f30 and f31:
    - there is a version 4.17 available as a regular package
    - there is a module for minetest:5 which is enabled by default, it includes version 5.0.0-1 which can not be installed because of dependencies.

3) modular repo is deprecated.

What we can do:

I think we should resurrect modular repo for minetest but only for fedora 30 and fedora 31. This will allow us to publish an update to 5.1.0 via module update process, which will solve the current issue. Then we can decide whether or not we actually want to keep two versions of minetest package in Fedora.

I asked Igor for admin access to modular repo [1] so i can reintroduce the module config. Once I get it, I will build a 5.1.0 version for f30 and f31 through it.

As a temporary workaround you can install the rpm from scratch build [2].

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/minetest/

[2] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=39690300
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/300/39690300/minetest-5.1.0-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/300/39690300/minetest-server-5.1.0-1.fc31.x86_64.rpm

I see gimp also enabled as a module. So at some point I might have a
problem with that as well and need to disable the module.

Don't get me wrong. I think it is great that we have the ability to
enable modules to install newer versions. But I don't think we should
enable them automatically especially if we can drop support at any
moment.

--
Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar