Re: Will Game spin for Fedora 18 came out?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:44:16 -0400,
  Paul Dufresne <dufresnep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fedora Game seems to not be out for Fedora 18 now:
"Games Spin is not available for the last Fedora release. Join us to
make it real again!"
taken from http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fr/games/
Will it be officialy released?

For f18 no. What happened, was that close to the release one of the games on the games spin was retired and the person who retired the package didn't check to see if it was in any ks files. And I missed this happened in part because the name was not one that normally makes you think of a game and I didn't notice the problems in the nightly composes. (The nightly composes were often broken for stuff not directly game spin related, so I got too lax about keeping a close eye on this. Releng noticed the problem and despite it being an easy fix didn't try to bring it to my attention in time to still get the image built. And releng didn't want to do the spin late.

The ks file for it is in the fedora-kickstarts package and you can use that along with livecd-creator to make a live games spin with up to date packages.

Another option is to get an iso from the nightly composes. This is based on f19 instead of f18, but should be OK for trying things out.

Another option is to install one of desktop spins and group install the games group. (You need to pull in optional packages, as by default you you won't get many games. Also there are some games that aren't in the games group.)

I would like to download an ISO of Game spin Fedora 18 on a USB key
for my sister to try.

I used dd of a nightly compose from within the last week on a USB key and it booted up just fine. I didn't test any games so far, but did run firefox and a few other things, so I would expect things to work.

I now use Fedora 18, and I may evaluate the possibility to build an
ISO image from the kickstart file that seems to exist for Fedora 18,
but I never done so, and will probably try:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLive with:
Kickfile url taken from
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Games_Spin&oldid=318146

It's probably simpler to install fedora-kickstarts and use the copy there. The games spin includes the desktop spin ks file, so you need to get a copy of that as well in any case.

The various nightly composes can be found starting at:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

Note that the games spin does not include propietary drivers, so that graphics intense games may not run as fast as when you use one of the proprietary drivers from rpmfusion.