Re: Help wanted removing --vendor from spec files

With the exception of a few FTBFS, this is done.

Thanks to all who took part.

-J

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings Games SIG, this is a request for help in cleaning up one area of
spec files that has affected a good many games packages.

== Background ="">
For Fedora 19 we're trying to get rid of the vendorization of .desktop
files.  This is a legacy of Fedora Extras and early Fedora days when
Guidelines specified that .desktop files should be installed with:

desktop-file-install --vendor "fedora" [...]

It was realized after a few releases that desktop-file-install's
--vendor flag caused issues because its implementation was to rename the
.desktop file; prepending the value of vendor to the filename.  In the past
we decided that new packages would not use --vendor but that packages that
already did so must keep doing so.  This is because software that customized
the menus would likely copy the .desktop file (complete with the vendor
prefix).  If we stopped installing with --vendor, anyone who customized
those entries in their menus would end up with two entries because none of
the software would be able to figure out that the entries were really for
the same thing.

For Fedora 19 we (FPC and FESCo) have decided that it's time to get rid of
this legacy behaviour.  If we can get rid of --vendor in all spec files for
F19 and above, then users will only suffer ill effects once, when they
upgrade from a previous release to F19.  Getting rid of vendor will solve
issues for GNOME3 and other softweare which doesn't handle the file renaming
that --vendor does so now is a good time to do so.

== Help Needed ==

I've assembled a list of packages that are installing .desktop files with
vendorized filenames:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Devendorize_desktop_files#List_of_affected_packages

as well as some tips for porting spec files so that they can work on both
Fedora 19+ and older Fedora and EPEL releases.  a few provenpackagers have
been working on the list of packages but it is a slow process with so many
packages to change.  It would be great if more people would join in.  There
are a lot of games in the list of packages so I was hoping that some people
from the games SIG might either modify their own packages and check them off
the list or, if they're provenpackagers, join in in porting any packages
that are using --vendor to no longer use it in F19+.

It would be great if we could get this done before Fedora 19 branches from
rawhide (2013-03-12) as after that date we'll have to modify packages in two
branches, the F19 and Rawhide trees.

Thanks for any help,
-Toshio

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/