Re: A new free 2D Game Development Platform: BennuGD

Miriam Ruiz wrote:
2009/11/18 Jon Ciesla <limb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Miriam Ruiz wrote:
2009/11/18 Oscar Torrente <q2dg@xxxxxxxx <mailto:q2dg@xxxxxxxx>>

   Hello

   I´m writing this email to introduce you a very interesting GPL 2D
   videogame programming language, called BennuGD
   (http://www.bennugd.org).

It is really a nice development platform, it conceptually derives from
Fenix, which is also in itself a free clone of DIV Games Studio. The only
problem I see with Bennu for the moment is that the direct conversions
between integers and pointers in the code do not work at all in 64 bits,
AFAIK.

Greetings,
Miry

I saw that there's no 64-bit version, would this fact preclude running the
32-bit version on 64-bit platforms?

AFAIK, it can be compiled with -m32, but not with -m64, that's the
reason I haven't packaged it for Debian yet, although I've been
following the project since its birth. Fenix also had, and already
has, that problem.

Maybe it could be fixed with  intptr_t and uintptr_t [1] (Linux
equivalent for Window's UINT_PTR and INT_PTR [2]), but as that numbers
are part of the virtual machine code, that would make code not
portable between architectures (I seriously doubt that it is now, even
in 32 bits with different endianess, but I haven't checked so I might
be wrong).

The proper way to fix it would probably be to have a dictionary (or
something EQUIVALENT), and put the key to the dictionary in the id and
the pointer in the value, thus avoiding having the actual pointer in
the 32bit id [3]

Whatever the solution might be, it seems to imply a hard work, so for
the moment I would only consider using it in 32 bits arches.

Any better ideas?

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/153065/converting-a-pointer-into-an-integer
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384242(VS.85).aspx
[3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1186766/resolving-cast-to-pointer-from-integer-of-different-size-error-in-64-bit-convers

So, looking at this, I see that it needs (and bundles) libdes, which looks long dead upstream, and uses a static lib. libdes isn't in Fedora, or Debian as far as I can tell, so we may have to bundle it. That makes me nervous, since if it's dead, it may have vulnerabilities that are going unpatched, which makes me additionally nervous if we then go on to package games that make use of this.

Thoughts?

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace