Re: Games Spin update

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:55:46 +0530,
  Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>

>> The target for this spin is people who aren't already running Fedora.
>> What we don't want to happen is have people semi-randomly pick games to try,
>> find a couple of duds and give up on linux based games.
>
> You might want to define this target somewhere prominently. In the past,
> it has merely been a loose collection of games without any real debate
> about the audience.

A required part of the spin page was the benefit to Fedora. I am currently
using the following text there:
I think a games spin is more likely to get people to try it out than most other spins. As such it makes it a nice candidate for being handed out at events focusing on introducing people to Fedora. While the games are not going to be impressive for hard core gamers, there is a nice variety that is likely to have something of interest for most people. A liveusb based on the spin could be even better as that allows people to play their games on other people's computers while keeping their saved games and high score lists with them.

I really think just making a spin with a loose collection of games is kind of
pointless. It would be better to just make sure that all games were tagged
as being in Amusements/Games so that people can get a list of them and install
them or make thier own spin (which is pretty easy these days). I think for
a spin to be prominently featured by Fedora it really should have a purpose.

Certainly other people are free to take things in another direction for F12
if they want. I just kind of got sucked into this by asking questions about
some breakage when trying to build the spin. All that's been fixed now and I
am way past what I needed in order to make spins to hand out to friends and
family.