Re: Music for games

Chris Norman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 07:13 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but I would like to
	> offer my help to the gaming comunity.
I am not personally a gamer, and I am visually impared, so I cannot test
the greater number of games, what I can do is create music, and I would
like to offer to help create music for any game that wants it.

If my help is required, just email me on this address
(chris.norman4@xxxxxxxxxxxx), with a description of the game, and what
musical piece(s) you want, and I'll see what I can put together, and
produce the music in either mp3 or wav format.
Sounds like you would be a good person for Hans de Goede to work with.  We
just had to remove or modify several games with non-free content,
including music, and I bet Hans would jump at the chance to have something
custom-created.

Hans?

It was this thread that gave me the idea to be honest.

I have a fair bit of free time on my hands to be honest, so just give me
a shout if anyone wants music doing for anything, and obviously it's not
going to be under any copyright or anything, all I ask is that my name
be mentioned somewhere in the credits.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer! ATM the trouble some games from Parallel Realities use modtracker format music. The blobwars maintainer is currently looking into replacing it with similar sounding modules from modarchive.org, which carries modules which match Fedora demands with regards to Free-ness for music, but is not truely Free music (no modification permitted).

It would be nice to have really free music for blobwars (and others, but lets start with blobwars) esp so that it can be used by distributions with stricter licensing demands for music like Debian.

If you download the blobwars sources from their website you will find a music directory there with various music files. We are basicly looking for music with the same feel. Also I don't know if you can do this, but it would be great if you could create modtracker music for blobwars again, as that has a certain feel (a certain cheesiness) and is very small.

If you cannot do modtracker music we need to think thisn over a bit, as currently blobwars is only 8 MB, adding .ogg (mp3 level compression) music files to that is a huge size increase.

Regards,

Hans