Re: SMCE

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 22:52 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > http://www.secretmaryo.org/wiki/index.php?title=SMCE
> >
> > Mentions that they are looking for input from Fedora on what needs to be
> > changed. Hans, have you tried to contact them?
> >

> I have in the past, I'll ask Spot to contact them directly, I always like to
> keep communications lines short.

I'm not really overly motivated to start down that path of discussion
with them, but I will recap the points I made before if someone else is
so motivated:

1. When you use the word "Maryo" in your name, you're blatantly
infringing on Nintendo's trademark.

2. Nintendo has the copyrights for the game character designs found in
the "Mario" series. SMC is using them without permission.

3. Nintendo aggressively goes after "clones", see "Great Giana Sisters".

So, to repeat what I've said in the past:

For it to be acceptable in Fedora:

SMC would need to rename itself "Awesome Plumber Adventure" or
something non-infringing.

AND

None of the artwork can reflect the copyrighted game character
designs from the Mario series. This would require a lot of artistic
creativity, but it is certainly possible.

or...

Get permission, in writing, from Nintendo, to use that name and their
copryighted game character designs.

~spot