Re: SDL +lock keys patch?

Warren Togami wrote:
Mike Miscevic wrote:
Hello Warren, Thomas,

I gleaned your email/contacts in the spec file for SDL-1.2.12-5, fedora8. Hope this is the right place to send this request, if not, my apologies.

Would you consider adding the attached patch which permits CAPSLOCK and NUMLOCK keys to behave like normal keys? SDL's position I believe is to reduce behavior of those keys as per their cross-platform desires. However, in many x86 video games it is desirable (and by default in certain cases) to use CAPSLOCK key like any other. Native linux (retail) game such as Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and other idsoftware technology based titles are such games.

Other linux distros seem to apply the patch, or similar. Mandriva comes to mind. I noticed this when switching from Mandriva to Fedora.

Please find attached the patch for your consideration.

The patch, similar to Mandriva's patch (which I believe came from Debian?) checks (during an init-phase of SDL) for the existance of env SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS and if found enables "normal" key behavior for lock keys. So this is opt-in for changed behavior.

Sincerely,
Mike Miscevic.

--Mike

Let's see if our Games SIG agrees upon it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games
CC'ing this to fedora-games-list.  How do people feel about this?

I can remember actually hacking around the completely !@#$ behavior of the capslock key under SDL in one application which specifically used it, so this gets a +1 fro me (don't remember which app but if this gets merged I'll do a search for it to revert the hack).

Regards,

Hans