Re: [Fwd: Re: Fedora, trademarks, etc.]

> Luis Marengo wrote:
>>
>>> The issue here is the "TRON" trademark, which is held by Disney.
>>> Fedora's legal counsel has advised us that having a "TRON" videogame
>>> which uses the trademark to describe itself is almost certainly
>>> trademark infringement. Since Fedora doesn't want to expose itself to
>>> unnecessary legal risk, we cannot include Armagetron as is. This policy
>>> applies to all trademarks used in software, not just this case.
>>>

>> Is it possible to contact Disney and ask permission to use the
>> trademark?  Afterall, it seems like free advertising for them.
>>

> Please contact upstream before doing this, they may not like you drawing
> Disney's attention to this issue.

I would even go so far as to say that it is upstream's place to do so, not
ours.  We can alter the name for redistribution.  If they get clearance
from Disney, then we can follow suit, but I agree with Hans, let's not
poke the wasp's nest, otherwise the bone of contention may come back to
roost with a veritable plethora of consequences, including unnecessary
cliches and metaphors.

Sorry, no caffeine yet today. :)

novus ordo absurdum