Re: [Fwd: Re: Fedora, trademarks, etc.]

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 11:04 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> Just got this from an Armagetron dev.  I'll check out the forum.  Tom,
> would you be able to contribute a short post on the trademark issues to
> the forum?

I don't really want to register on a new forum, just to post one
comment, so feel free to copy and post what I'm about to say:

The issue here is the "TRON" trademark, which is held by Disney.
Fedora's legal counsel has advised us that having a "TRON" videogame
which uses the trademark to describe itself is almost certainly
trademark infringement. Since Fedora doesn't want to expose itself to
unnecessary legal risk, we cannot include Armagetron as is. This policy
applies to all trademarks used in software, not just this case.

Perhaps "LightCycles" would be a better name than WeaselCycles, but
anything without "TRON" in it will probably be fine.

~spot