Re: Can't create users and groups

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "You can patch around it in kickstart" isn't a very satisfying
> answer. You can, with enough effort, solve *any* problem that
> way. Doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Ok; let us look at different scenarios:

1. Installation from Fedora Core <= 6 DVD

   * no problem; FC has static uids only and fedora-usermgmt is of no
     use there.

   * when administrator setups rest of the system (e.g. LDAP DNs,
     SSL/KRB5 keys, network filesystems), he can setup fedora-usermgmt
     too, OR

   * administrator makes local rpm repository known to yum; when
     first package which uses fedora-usermgmt will be installed, it
     uses the 'fedora-usermgmt-my-setup' package instead of the
     default 'fedora-usermgmt-default-fedora-setup' one

2. Installation from a provided Fedora >= 7 DVD

   * I never saw such an image and can not tell whether arguments above
     apply there too

   * afaik, arbitrary repository can be used during installation. Hence,
     this with 'fedora-usermgmt-my-setup' can be added

3. Installation from a custom Fedora >= 7 DVD

   * just add the 'fedora-usermgmt-my-setup' package to the image

When there is really interest, I can write a patch for anaconda (at
least for the kickstart part) which adds a

| --fedora-usermgmt [default|predictable] [<window-start>]

option.

Enrico