Re: Can't create users and groups

On Thursday 15 March 2007 18:04:19 Mário Gamito wrote:
> Would you be so kind to be more specific ?
> I've tried the %pre section, but it didn't create the groups and the users.
>
> The %pre section is before the %prep, right ?
>
> The make setup already needs the users and groups to exist.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  You can't rely on creating users during the build
process, as the place you build does not always equal the place you install.
You _have_ to be able to build without creating the users.  You use %pre to
create the users as %pre is executed on the host that you're installing the
package on, before the package files are put in place.  %pre creates the
user, %defatter defines that the files should be owned by said user when
they're laid out on the file system.

If the build (potentially without 'check') cannot complete without the user
being added, you may be stuck with fixing the broken make system for that
software.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora