Re: garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

On 05.03.2007 13:47, Axel Thimm wrote:
On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:10:33PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:18:32 +0100
bugs.michael@xxxxxxx (Michael Schwendt) wrote:
The missing obsoletes is a fundamental problem, not specific to
Extras. There is no automatic garbage collection during upgrades.
Do we know of any distribution that handles it better?
No idea, but maybe we could ship a "garbage-collector.7-1.fc7.rpm" in
the repo that simply obsoletes all packages that aren't shipped anymore
and don't get obsoleted by other packages.
And what if such a package gets picked up by another repo?

It would need to provide a newer one (the obsoletes in the garbage collector rpm of course needs to be versioned).

But I'd say we shouldn't care to much about this corner case -- getting the old stuff away is more important IMHO. Further: it would be best for everyone if the maintainer of "another repo" would simply continue to maintain the package in Extras ;-)

CU
thl