Re: rpmlint question

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:03:12 -0500 (EST), Tom Diehl wrote:

> It turns out that libdspam.so is not needed but there are subpackages
> that contain drivers for mysql and postgresql. If I pull the .so symlinks,
> I get the following error:
>
> [bullwinkle pts33]# dspam --daemon --debug
> 1312: [02/14/2007 15:46:54] dlopen() failed: /usr/lib/libmysql_drv.so: /usr/lib/libmysql_drv.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> 1312: [02/14/2007 15:46:54] Unable to initialize storage driver
> [bullwinkle pts33]#
>
> Having said the above, there is a config file in dspam, that calls
> /usr/lib/libmysql_drv.so. If I change the config to /usr/lib/libmysql_drv.so.7
> or /usr/lib/libmysql_drv.so.7.0.0 then the program runs and the driver loads.
>
> What is the correct way to handle this type of thing?

Rule of thumb: don't touch it unless you know what you are doing.

> In addition, if the right answer is to drop the *.so libs, am I really supposed
> to drop them or do they belong in the -devel package?
>
> Is there a doc for this somewhere? So far, I have not been able to find one.

There used to be a paragraph somewhere in the Wiki, merged from fedora.us,
but I think it got obsoleted/dropped because it would be too confusing for
packaging newbies. The decision on what to do with *.so files is difficult.

Basically, you only need to know which libraries are needed at run-time
and which are needed at build-time only. Then you can include them in the
right packages. For ordinary libraries, which are correctly named, only
the *.so.* files are needed at run-time and the *.so symlink is only
needed during development. libfoo.so is what is needed for the linker
option -lfoo to succeed.

In your example, however. the developers use dlopen() to load shared
libraries at run-time. The libraries are used like plugins. Is there an
API (in header files) for those plugin libraries?
The developers ought to move their plugins to a private directory and not
pollute /usr/lib. The chosen file names are very generic, too, since the
libraries can conflict with any other package, which would also include a
libmysql_drv.so.* Further, the developers ought to dlopen the versioned
libs rather than the non-versioned *.so and that is especially useful when