Re: rpmlint question

Tom Diehl (tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> I am trying to learn how to make rpms. When I run rpmlint against the
> package
> I am trying to make I get the following output:
>
> (bullwinkle pts31) $ rpmlint dspam-3.6.8-1.fc5.mtd.1.i386.rpm
> W: dspam devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/lib/libdspam.so

Generally, lib<foo>.so is used for development purposes. It's what
the linker looks at when you link against that library with
-l<foo>. So it's classified as a development file.

The only other use of lib<foo>.so would be if it's a dynamically
loaded module or plugin, loaded with dlopen() or similar code.
(However, in that case, it's probably better to specify a particular
ABI version, so programs don't get a version that's different from
the API/ABI they compiled against.)

If libdspam.so isn't a plugin used by other programs, just remove
libdspam.so from your file list.

Bill