Re: extras package that simplifies installation of vmware packages ?

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Hi!

David Timms schrieb:
Hi I am thinking of creating a package called vmware-server-prerequisites.
This could have requires of the rpms that need to be installed for
vmware to be able to run. It could also include the any-any patch
{although some people are saying it isn't need with k-2.6.18 / fc6}.
Perhaps also a sub package called vmware-server-console-prerequisites,
that has any packages that it might need.

My understanding is that to be part of fedora-extras, I could not
require the vmware package itself, ie I could only require packages in
core or extras.

Correct.

Without knowing any details about dkms I would imagine that some
trickery could be performed so that a kernel update causes a vmware
module recompile.

No, the vmware modules are not acceptable for extras afaik as they might
have similar (not directly identical) problems as the nvidia or ati
drivers -- see the recent ndiswrapper discussion on lkml and/or
http://lwn.net/Articles/205644/.
Thanks for this direct reference, I'll take a look.

And I don't know if the vmware license even allows to ship only the
kernel modules.
I was thinking that the user would still use the normal route to get vmware's software, and hence be abiding by their software license. The basic problem with vmware's package {vmware-server-1.0.1...} is that it doesn't require other packages {and hence force them to be installed} that are needed before the kernel modules can be compiled on a particular distro such as our foss only fedora.

I can see that after a new kernel and reboot, vmware detects that {I believe} it can no longer load it's kernel modules, and warns that the user needs to recompile them. I was thinking more of a way in which the {prerequisites} package could trigger the running of the supplied config script, if it finds it already installed. If the script isn't already installed, then it would do nothing.

Any thoughts on possibilities and on incorporating such in extras ?

I don't think it's possible or makes to much sense in Extras.
Is that because it would give the end user the impression that the package is vmware itself ?
Or because it isn't FOSS ? {and xen is coming along nicely}
Or because it doesn't really do anything in itself ? {I vaguely remember someone mentioned that this sort of thing makes more sense to be done in groups files within a repo}

Maybe you have more luck in one of the 3rd party repos.
Good point. Or my,our internal repo.

CU
thl
Thanks for your input :)

In reading between the lines, I guess it would make more sense to encourage vmware to insert the correct dependencies for compilation, or provide a -devel package that requires the bits needed to recompile their modules. Having not tried other rpm based distros for a long time, is there much common in the way redhat/fedora package compared to say suse etc ?

DaveT.