Re: xview anyone ?

Christian Iseli wrote:
Hi Pat,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:39:35 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
http://www.lmd.jussieu.fr/~pdlmd/xview-3.2-0.1.p4.src.rpm

It was not an easy task, but now it's done. Normally, the imake files
are more or less FHS compliant now, and I even use them to do the
staged install of xview itself. However if treetool uses other variables
to construct the directories, you may have to modify paths in files in config/XView.*.

I had to install some fonts, that's a bit strange since they are listed in
the fonts.dir file in /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc. I tested a bit and it seemed
that using fontconfig didn't worked, that's why I also added the fonts to /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc. The X and Xfs servers seems to have to be
restarted before those fonts are taken into account. Don't know if all that
is normal or if I did something wrong.

I tested the ol*wm window managers, they seemed to work, and also the clock program seems to be functionnal.

The difference between this and the debian package are
* I put together the 2 ol*wm packages
* I put xview_xgettext and xview_msgfmt in xview-clients and not xview-devel (the idea is to have multi lib parallel installable devel package).

Thanks a lot.  I started to work on this, and after some further tweaks
got xview to compile in mock for FC-5, and treetool too.

I got treetool to work on i386 machines.

There remains some problems though: on x86_64 the function
copy_va_to_av goes into an infinite loop when dealing with pointers.
Must be some 64-bit issue.  This happens both using treetool and clock.

I put my current working copy of the packages SRPMS in
ftp://ftp.licr.org/pub/

1) Have you checked Debian's packages of this (if they have any) usually with hard to package software
  its a good idea to start with all Debian's patches (or atleast thosw which seem to make sense) that
  might fix this.

2) If you can give me a shortlist of instructions howto reproduce this then I can take a look at my 64
  bit machine at home (work doesn't have any 64 bit machines yet). As time permits of course.

Regards,

Hans