Re: Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Josh Boyer wrote:

That being said, my personal opinion is that "beta" or pre-release
packages should only be done in the devel branch, and only if that beta
has a really good chance of becoming an actual release before the devel
branch is forked for the next Extras release.

This to me is the best argument for something *like* a "testing" repo I've seen. I've never been convinced about the whole "testing" thing to date, but I can see a limited use for some packages (especially big ones with long release cycles and beta/RC periods) where regular users might want to use the latest and greatest but it wouldn't be appropriate to put it into devel, which might of course become a release branch. In fact even if there's any doubt about whether the package might not be ready for the next release (e.g. close to FC7 branch) it makes it awkward for the maintainer because you they potentially have to revert devel (go backwards)and undo good work if it turned out the package wasn't quite ready in time for a branch, which isn't ideal.

It makes more sense in my head if you call "testing" something like "bleeding edge".

Tim