Re: Clarification on Packaging Guidelines

Denis Leroy wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 08:49 -0700, Denis Leroy wrote:

Rex Dieter wrote:

Eric Work wrote:

I was previously unsure whether %pre/%post ldconfig lines on shared
library devel packages were needed.  In a recent discussion with some
others on #fedora-extras I was informed that they were not needed.

The policy is clear, IMO, ldconfig is needed if said package includes any
shared libraries (pkgs with *symlinks* to shared libs, like most -devel
ones, don't count).

I think there's an implicit assumption here that you are installing shared libraries *meant to be picked up by the dynamic linker*. Some packages ship dynamic libraries that are dlopened() directly by the application (plugins), in that case calling ldconfig will not do anything and so is not necessary.

The open question here would be: Should dlopen'ed plugins in $libdir be
allowed?

Do you mean in %libdir itself, or anywhere under %libdir ?

I think he means in %libdir itself, thats how I read it when I posted I agreed :)

In a subdir under libdir is not only fine, thats actually mandatory by the FHS.

Regards,

Hans