Re: OT: Media format patents and commercial installations

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 08:00:47AM +1000, David Timms wrote:
I am interested in building FC5 based installations for commercial sale. One of the requirements is the capability to play back media of as many types as possible (eg using mplayer/xine/vlc). While Fedora core/extras can't contain patent encumbered nor non-open source software, in general terms is there anything to stop me selling such a box ?

eg. for mpeg2 / 4 playback I could use the various libraries available. Does anyone know if other parties have been able to negotiate with the patent holders (I guess MPEG) individual licenses for linux machines ?

Yes, I had been in contact with MPEGLA in a previous contract
assignment.

Is it hideously expensive ?

The costs are minimal. The pain is in the burocracy.

Callum wrote:
>> Linspire has done it. For their for-profit distribution. And yes, its
>> hideously expensive.

Perhaps the license for a OS product is looked at differently from small runs (5-10) of OEM boxes (what I was anticipating).

Axel, is the costs protected under contract ? If not are you willing to state ball park figures eg per machine ? Was it like $1/2/5/10/20/50/100 per machine ?

Thanks, DaveT