Re: OT: Media format patents and commercial installations

Jesse Keating Wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 09:21 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > This would be pretty onerous on OEMs.  Keep all materials referring to
> > their products that mention Fedora up-to-date with a list of
> > (changing) add-ons?  This week the OEM has to add a driver for a new
> > sound card that isn't in the Fedora kernel yet, next week they need a
> > fix in the net-snmp package that isn't upstream yet, week after that
> > they sign a marketing deal to include some other non-Fedora-provided
> > package in their bundle, ...
> >
> > IMHO, it's Fedora until it's sufficiently changed to not be Fedora.  A
> > few relatively minor package substitutions (for hardware features or
> > bug fixes) or additions that don't cause the OS from being
> > recognizable as Fedora, should be allowed.  How to define that crisply
> > legally I can't specify, IANAL.
>
> It is really not that hard to keep track of what is being modified.
> When all modifications are being done in RPM format, pretty easy to keep
> track.  In the case of the OEM I used to work for, all these packages
> were applied in a %post during kickstarts.  Updates to the post script
> were regulated and any changes would cause the need for updating various
> materials, such as a website that listed the changes.

I suspect that it is harder than you suggest. I bought hardware from $OEM
you used to work for just before you left. When I realized that I did not
have the same versions of the $OEM RPMS/SRPMS that came installed on the
machines I requested them from $OEM. It took them 2 weeks to get the
$OEM RPMS/SRPMS that came installed on the machine. The hardest part for
me was convincing $OEM that $OEM RPMS/SRPMS were not on the FC3 cd's they
sent with the machines. They did finally get them to me but I was told they
needed to contact you after you were gone, to get the SRPMS.

This is not a complaint, $OEM did the right thing and a year later I am very
happy with said hardware. It is just an example of things that are not always
as easy as they seem.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx