Re: Packaging guidelines for web applications?

On 5/7/06, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The apache stuff in /var/www probably should be in /usr/share (except
the default DocumentRoot root which IMHO should be in /srv/www/html )

the whole /var/www/ thing has puzzled me as well.  I think we should
have a partitioned place for web applications.  Perhaps just because I
use a lot of web apps.  /usr/share/www/packagename/ seems very
reasonable to me.

You shouldn't need to patch anything to get it to work from /usr/share
instead of /var/www - it should be done with a config file
in /etc/httpd/conf.d/

I've run into issues with config files for the actual application
which, according to FHS, should be in /etc.  But the web apps don't
like it when we just move stuff on 'em.  And then if you have a web
app that does polling and stores files those shouldn't be in
/usr/share but in /var/something depending on the type of content. Some web apps also have their own logs.

What type of patching are you required to do for FHS guideline
compliance?

Basically just letting apps know that they will be storing files
(logs, config's, spools, cache, misc) in /var/whatever instead of a
path relative to the app which its used to.

        -Mike