Re: weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 27.04.2006, 10:41 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:
It's of no use to me to see that there was a package called
abracatabra built unless I'm the packager/reviewer. If a new package
enters the system I (as a user) want to see what that package does w/o
guessing from the name. And I want to be able to separate new from
updates. For an update I'd like to know why it was updated, so the
first lines of the changelog are nice to look at.
I guess I don't think doing it in mail is useful, really. I prefer rss
feeds for this kind of information. And putting changelogs and other
misc info in an rss feed makes more sense - at least to me.

Not for me -- I don't use rss feeds normally so they would create a
extra hurdle for me. And mail a IMHO has a important benefit: It will
always land in my Inbox -- I don't have to remember to look at the feed
once a day.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in this context. But I'm probably not the
only one.
I agree with that.... I would like to see announcements of individual
new packages as they become available (in extras or core, I really don't
care). I'd like the announcements to come via e-mail and include a
description of what the package is/does. It might be nice if such
"initial public offerings" could include some information about *why*
the package is being added and how it might compare to other similar
packages.... or, perhaps a link to the bugzilla thread so those
interested could read more about how the package came to be.

If I think a new package fits my needs I will "yum install ..." it (or
at least keep the announcement as a reminder to install it later), and
from that point on, will get any updates via the nightly yum update. I
really don't want to see a weekly summary of all that's new... Leave the
weekly summary to the "weekly newsletter people"... :-)

Package updates are sent via e-mail throughout the day... works great...
I've never seen a summary e-mail of which packages were updated this
week, why do that for new packages?

New is just a special case of "updated".... treat it the same.... use
*new* instead of *update* in the subject line:
   Fedora Core 5 new: open-sesame-0.5.0

Subsequent updates are then sent as:
   Fedora Core 5 update: open-sesame-0.5.1

Don Russell